Vacature Projects & Applications Manager
bij Artsen zonder Grenzen in Amsterdam
- Artsen zonder Grenzen
- Universitair of hoger
- Medior niveau
- Vast contract
- 40 uur p/w
- Medior niveau
- Vast contract
- Salaris in overleg
- 40 uur p/w
With immediate effect our Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) department is looking for a
Projects & Applications Manager
(40 hrs p/w = 100%)
Based in Amsterdam
Reports to the Head of the ICT department
Under the leadership of the Head of ICT, the Projects and Applications Manager designs and oversees the IT projects and solutions that enable the organization to efficiently run the operations. He/she provides overall leadership in the choice, the implementation and the evolution of applications and drives the implementation of continuous improvement to business processes. Applications may be of various types (cloud-based, on-premises, mobile…) and in all the areas covered by MSF (medical, operation management, finance, HR, donor management, digital and communication, supply chain, IT…).
Strategy and leadership
- Assist the Head of IT for defining the IT strategic orientations, the strategic plan and the yearly plan of action.
- Define the global IS vision and define the strategic technology initiatives.
- Provide leadership in planning and managing applications through their entire lifecycle
- Provide in-depth technical expertise to the Head of IT for both tactical and strategic initiatives.
- Provide leadership to project management and competence centers (ERP, software development, integration…). Ensure staff professional development.
- Pro-actively propose solutions, innovations, changes and projects related to IT governance, organizational aspects and technical challenges. Demonstrate the value of proposals through formal business cases.
- Propose budgets and control costs.
Portfolio and project management
- Maintain the portfolio of programs, projects and activities.
- Overall coordinate projects/resources to ensure that the projects are carried out in an efficient manner. Ensure that all project deliverables, budgets, and timelines are met within scope and quality. Regularly report on the portfolio/project status to the PMO and to the management.
- Pro-actively participate in the elaboration of the project management approach/methodology and ensure all the quality standards are met.
Applications delivery, maintenance and support
- Provide leadership in building strong partnership with the lines of business in supporting them designing, building, improving and using their business processes and the associated applicative solutions.
- Together with the enterprise architecture / business analysis team, and in very close collaboration with the lines of business, design and implement the best fitted solution in terms of technology and value for the business.
- Ensure the commissioning of solutions through an efficient planning and coordination with the Infrastructure and Operations teams (under the Service Delivery Manager responsibility) on technology, resources and timeline.
- Together with the lines of business and the service delivery manager, overall coordinate the preparation, the negotiation, the formalization and the fulfillment of OLA’s/SLA’s.
- Oversee the design and implementation of the application support to the satisfaction of the end-users.
- Provide expertise on applicative architecture, integration and software related topic.
- Ensure that the systems and processes are properly documented with up-to-date information.
- Perform regular technological watch on IT trends, solutions and organizational aspects.
Sourcing and vendor management
- Establish and maintain strong, strategic partnerships with vendors and service suppliers.
- Develop RFPs/RFIs, oversee product evaluations, coordinate product and service selections. Ensure that the purchasing process, pricing, terms and conditions for supplier contracts meet IT and MSF purchasing standards while achieving optimal results for the organization.
- Negotiate and establish contracts with vendors with the support of the supply unit.
Sourcing and vendor management
- Closely collaborate with the counterparts of the other Operational Centers and with the IS management platform (ISM) to define opportunities of convergence at movement level, for example through the alignment on technological standards, global projects, implementation of a global shared service center…
- Master degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field
- 5+ years as software developer or architect
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience of IT project management
- 5+ years as Head of Business Applications, Head of Competence centers, Head of Projects or Program Manager
- Experience in an international environnment
- Project management certification (PMP, Prince2, Hermes, Scrum…)
- ITIL certification
- Strong leadership and management skills. Ability to lead cross functional teams in running operations and implementing projects of a complex nature.
- Mature and self-motivated professional able to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment. Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing conditions and priorities, and to redirect managers and teams toward new objectives.
- Focus on customer satisfaction, high-quality service and project delivery, with strong interpersonal skills and responsiveness.
- Adherence to IT policies and processes to ensure consistent quality of service
- Strong capacity to manage expectations
- Capacity to lead by example and develop strong personnel performance goals
- Ability to engage with internal and external stakeholders, gain their confidence and persuade them to cooperate with initiatives where required
- Must have strong organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities and excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Persuasive, professional communication style. Capable of communicating complex, technical topics to a wide variety of audiences. Ability to interact with senior management and influence decision makers.
- Quality and results oriented
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Highly efficient and Pro-active
- Committed to MSF values
- Ability to relate the goals of applicative solutions and service delivery to business goals
- Demonstrated critical thinking and planning at a strategic, global level. Ability to translate strategic plans into specific objectives, and to create and execute project plans to achieve objectives.
- Extensive knowledge of processes and applications in various business areas such as Finance, HR, Supply Chain, hospital management, medical data management, CRM, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge in tailor-made and off-the-shelf solutions (ERPs, best-of-breeds, on-premises and cloud solutions, middleware, datawarehouse, BI tools….)
- Excellent understanding of Enterprise architecture and capability to have the application landscape evolve and be maintained
- Deep understanding of applications life cycle (design, development, test, commissioning, roll-out decommissioning…)
- Strong financial management skills in budgeting, forecasting, and cost control.
- Deep understanding of the applications and of the interdependent relationship between infrastructure, information security and the applications they enable as well as the criticality of maintaining strong connections between the respective teams within IT.
- Ability to manage a project portfolio, assigning priorities, monitoring progress and risks.
- Formal project management principles and expertise and ability to apply them to applicative and organizational projects and teams.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technology solutions to business problems and opportunities.
- Ability to elaborate business cases and demonstrate the business value of initiatives and projects.
- Strong knowledge of service-management
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations related to information management issues.
- High capacity to adapt and to leverage on technological and organizational trends (cloud platforms, mobile technologies, internet-of-things, bi-modal IT…)
The position designs and oversees the IT projects and solutions that enable the organization to efficiently run the operations.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 250 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
You will work in a core team of 15 IT and IS specialists that focus on business/IT alignment, project delivery and supplier management. The IT department in our Amsterdam office is managing a portfolio of around 15 different IT projects. These vary from IT infrastructure investments to the implementation of new information system.